Re: LAWSON NAS and SAN

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:23:58 -0800

I will attempt to address one of your questions, the one regarding HD size.

The answer is it depends on the throughput and latency of the individual drives. Though you may have fewer spindles by using larger drives, they are newer technology, likely faster, and you may actually see more throughput
by using them.

For an excellent explanation of this, you should purchase a copy of 'Scaling Oracle 8i'. I can't recommend this book highly enough. The info in it will tell you how to compare drives yourself.

Every DBA should have a copy, regardless of platform.

Jared

                    Mario Brenes

                    <MBRENES_at_savan       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    e.com>               cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     LAWSON  NAS and SAN

                    root_at_fatcity.c

                    om

                    11/28/01 03:55

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

I am evaluating a solution for LAWSON, and in the requirements I need a server with at least 450 GIGs of hard drive, 3 GIGs of RAM, 8 Intel Based Processors.

I am proposing to buy Compaq Servers, and 14 slots external units to fulfill
these requirements, but I have some questions to see if someone can help me??

  1. Will my application suffer a lot if I decide to buy 72Gigs hard drivers or should I buy 36Gigs hard drives. My problem is that for future grow, the 72 will allow me more data on my external 14 slots storage unit
  2. Is someone using NAS Network Attached Storage Units? How well do they perform? What about SAN Storage Attached Network units?
  3. A company told me about this NAS that mirrors data changes over LAN or WAN, they claim it is a great product and that in case of emergency recovery, I will be able to recover in minutes?? Is it true??

Please Help.

Author: Mario Brenes
  INET: MBRENES_at_savane.com