RE: Standby Database

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:32:25 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Shareplex is a great tool, i have heard anecdotally. <SPAN class=789555417-29112001>Of course, it
ain't cheap, either.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Both
facts need to be addressed.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Is
there any interest in sharing that kind of sales information? For, say, a Sun 6500, 12 processors, 8GB RAM,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>"shareplexing" to another box of same type.......
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Just a
question.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Ross

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Nick Wagner   [mailto:Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com]Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001   12:15 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Standby Database
  </begin_plug>
  I usually don't do these kind of posts... but I've seen a lot   of activity on this topic lately.
  What is really the problem we are trying to solve here?    Maybe we are using the wrong tool.
  If you are looking for data protection in the event of a   failure, or disaster... Or if you are trying to create a real time reporting   instance. And you are using standby databases... there is a better   solution.
  We provide a product called SharePlex for Oracle... it   continually scans the online redo logs for any transactions on the tables that   are critical to your environment.  It takes these transactions, and sends   them to a target machine over TCP communication, and posts them via standard   Oracle SQL.  The target system is completely open and available, while we   are posting to it, for reporting and/or verifying that the data is there and   available for use in case of a failure or disaster at the primary site.

  It can even be used in a peer to peer replication scheme as   well.
  </end_plug>
  </begin_shameless_plug> for more
  information you can go to <A target=_blank   href="http://www.quest.com/shareplex/">http://www.quest.com/shareplex/     </end_shameless_plug>
  Sorry about the 'sales announcement'  but this list is   for helping people, and trying to solve their problems... I see this as a   solution.
  Nick Wagner Technical PM
  Quest Software
  -----Original Message----- From: Ed