RE: Oracle8i on WinNT - renaming disc drives

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:15:05 -0800

If by "rename disk drives" means changing the drive letter where Oracle is installed.  You may have to re-install Oracle since the regisry will now have the wrong values.

Jeffrey BeckstromDatabase AdministratorGreater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority1240 W. 6th StreetCleveland, Ohio 44113(216) 781-4204>>> lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk 11/28/01 9:55:31 AM
>>>Ron,When you say log files in the init.ora I assume you
mean archive log files.(Mr. P. Dantic)Anyway, getting back to the task at hand, a far easier way to do it is toissue a backup controlfile to trace. Change the location of the files in thetrace file you have generated, shutdown the DB, move the files to the newlocations you have specified in the trace file. Run the trace file you haveedited and open your DB.This is a very simplistic explanation of the process but it is foolproof, itis widely documented on the web and in my experience works everytime, I havehad to do this many times without any issues.BACK IT UP FIRST, do the process and BACK IT UP AGAIN !!!!!HTHLee-----Original Message-----Sent: 28 November 2001 14:05To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSonja,It is a complicated process to rename disk drives in the Oracleenvironment. Depending in the drives that Oracle uses and  what arechanges(renamed) could really cause you frustration.The initxxx.ora lists the current location of the controlfiles, logfiles,dump dirs, trace dirs, etc.You will have to startup the database (if it can find the controlfile) and"alter database rename .. to .." for each of the effected datafiles. It canbe a long and detailed process. These are just a few thoughts off the top ofmy head.Make notes and document everything to CYA.Good LuckROR mª¿ªm>>> sonja.sehovic_at_pbz.hr 11/28/01 05:20AM >>>List hi!Oracle 8.1.7 on WinNT.Our Windows guys want to rename disc drives for some administration reasons.I'm really in UNIX so I'm wondering could you give me some advices on thismatter.As far as I know, I have to recreate control files, with new drives. Isthere anything else I should do? Some Windows stuff?TIA,    Sonja-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Sonja_=A9ehovi=E6?=  INET: sonja.sehovic_at_pbz.hr Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego,
California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing

REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com--
Author: Ron Rogers  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.orgFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).The information contained in this communication isconfidential, is intended only for the use of the recipientnamed above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you arehereby notified that any dissemination, distribution orcopying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computersystem.--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com--Author: Robertson Lee - lerobe  INET: lerobe_at_acxiom.co.ukFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 28 2001 - 10:15:05 CST