Re: Altering Indexes

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:10:35 -0800

Mark Leith wrote:

> Just a question off the wall here - kind of related:
>
> Does anybody know why Oracle does NOT give the option to have a DEFAULT
> INDEX TABLESPACE along with TEMPORARY and DEFAULT (for Tables for example)..
> I know, I know it's just another thing to add to your syntax - but it would
> be a FAR better way of doing things wouldn't it?
>
> I would much prefer to say:
>
> create user mark identified by beer
> default table tablespace USER_DATA
> quota 100 M on USER_DATA
> default index tablespace USER_IDXS
> quota 100 M on USER_IDXS
> temporary tablespace TEMP;
>
> as this totally takes away the nightmare of having them all created in one
> single tablespace..
>
> Anyone with an "in" with Oracle know the answer? Anyone care to speculate?
> :>
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Mark,

   Good suggestion. As far as one usually finds more indices in the data tablespace than the reverse, I have flirted with the idea of making the tablespace devoted to indices the default one, but it's changing the problem. But I have something to suggest :

 create user mark identified by beer
 default table tablespace SYSTEM
 quota 100 M on USER_DATA
 quota 100 M on USER_IDXS
 temporary tablespace TEMP;

 (assuming of course that you do not have the UNLIMITED TABLESPACE privilege). My bet is that it won't take long before you remember to always specify the tablespace, yek, yek, yek. In case using SYSTEM would make you (understandably) uncomfortable, you can create say a 50K BARELAND tablespace on which nobody has quotas.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation