RE: Altering Indexes

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:13:02 -0800

Ken - No, there isn't a magic single command. Moving the indexes, even with alter index, cause a lot of work for Oracle, and can consume quite a bit of time. As the typical cautious production DBA, I do not like to start a really large monolithic process that might make my system unavailable to the users for an unknown period of time. I would recommend that you use SQL to create a script to alter the indexes. This will allow you to Pareto's rule to do the many small indexes first, then work up to the larger indexes that use increasing amounts of time. Also, I would recommend considering several index tablespaces, maybe even moving the largest tables to their own tablespace first.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Ken Janusz
  INET: ken.janusz_at_sufsys.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 27 2001 - 10:13:02 CST