RE: Upgrade 8.0.5 to 8.1.6

From: Henry Poras <Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:17:32 -0800

Ed,
COMPATIBLE is there to allow backwards compatibility. If you upgrade from 8.0.5 to 8.1.6 and set COMPATIBLE=8.0.5 in your init.ora, new features will not be turned on, allowing an easier port back to 8.0.5 if necessary. Quoting from Oracle8i Reference Release: "COMPATIBLE lets you use a new release, while at teh same time guaranteeing backward compatibility with an earlier release... This parameter specifies the release with which the Oracle server must maintain compatiibility. It allows you to take advantage of the maintenance imporvements of a new release immediately in you production systems without testing the new functionality in your environment."

Henry

Author: Mr. Clark
  INET: mrclark_at_xnet.com

Author: Henry Poras