RE: Report waiting on SQL*Net message from client

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:32:49 -0800

Rajesh,

If your report is tied up doing things on it's side, formatting, format triggers, formula and summary columns, etc, there could be some time before the "client" (Reports) next communicates with the database. So, the wait indicates the server is simply waiting for another instruction from the client, in this case reports.

For diagnosing this, consider the use of PROFILE: Tools | Preferences | Runtime Settings. You can also specify it on the command line. For details on this option, while in Form Builder with the Preferences dialog box up, click Help and then choose Runtime Settings, and the Profile. It describes the type of information being captured, with the major points of interest being how much time is spent on the DB side vs. Report side. There are other things such as TRACE (Tools | Trace) that can let you see where time is being spent within the report. Very helpful information.

It is possible, particularly with complex reports with lots of frames, format triggers, page x of y (total number of pages), matrix reports, etc for one of the performance bottlenecks to be the "formatting" of the report itself. In the help system, under Contents | Tips and Tricks | For Performance you can get more info and trouble-shooting performance issues as well as many performance tips. I've always gotten the biggest bang for the buck by tuning the SQL (if that was the problem), but at times we need to "tune" the report itself.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781