RE: RE: Raw partition Vs File System

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 04:22:04 -0800

Hi Bill,

No luck contacting Bert. My guess is that he did not have a very big SGA, so there was plenty of his 2G of RAM available
for filesystem caching. For example, if Oracle had 128M for the shared pool and 128M for its buffer cache (as at the end
of his previous article in the series), that leaves about 1.7G for filesystem caching. So file system based tests would
get the benefit of 1.7G of cache, whereas raw tests would only get the benefit of 128M of cache. To construct a fair
test, it would be necessary to give Oracle 1.7G of db_block_buffers. In the article Bert says that he doubled
db_block_buffers, but unless going from about 600M to about 1.2G, then it was not a level playing field. Unfortunately,
he does not give those numbers.

@   Regards,
@   Steve Adams
@   http://www.ixora.com.au/              -  For DBAs