RE: Need to update the ORACLE SID on W2000 Registry

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 15:04:59 -0800

Perhaps what the doco is talking about is your default connection under NT.

Under NT, if you set oracle_sid in the registry, then when you use svrmgrl / sqplus you do not need to set it first.

So. maybe the doco is suggesting that if you create a 2nd database, then you might want that to be your default database so maybe you will need to alter the default sid. If this is the case, then (AFAIK) oradim does not let you create / update a default sid.

That said, I prefer not to have a default SID at all, and I just always type "set oracle_sid=blah" myself at the CMD prompt.

How to tell if you current have a default SID - open a new CMD prompt, run svrmgrl and issue a connect and see if it works. Also try typing "set oracle_sid" at the CMD prompt to see if someone defined a default SID as an environment variable.

HTH,
Bruce Reardon

Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun Nov 18 2001 - 17:04:59 CST