RE: Disk to Disk backups and RMAN

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:29:42 -0800

Jared/Tom,

> As Tom pointed out, the problem is how to have the software,
> ( RMAN in this case ) automatically load the correct tapes
> when the backup was made to disk, and then the disks
> were later backed up to tape.

Ahh - now I understand the question. You *will* need the MML (Media Management Layer) and an automated tape library that is supported by the sofware and version that provides the MML. In actual terms, say you use Legato Networker and the provided MML that interfaces to RMAN: In this case, the Legato agent will be prompted by the Legato server to backup the database - this agent in turn will execute the named RMAN script, which will then create your DATAFILE COPY on disk and kick off a backup of these to tape. The Legato server index will then be used to store the tag name, bar-code number, filename/date/size, etc. of bar-coded tape on which this particular datafile copy was placed - this tape will then be placed in the tape silo. Upon a request to perform a restore as of a particular day/time, this index will then 'remember' the right tape, the robotic eye/arm will then locate/load the right tape (identified by the bar-code) into the drive from the silo and presto - your datafile copy is back where it should be, all automated of course thanks to robotics and bar-codes! This should work in a similar manner with other vendors such as Veritas Netbackup, Arcserve, IBM (now Tivoli) ADSM, etc.

Does this clarify (or make it murkier)?
John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Kill your killer-commute! Listen to great commercial-free christian music 24x7 (details at www.klove.com)

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Nov 16 2001 - 16:29:42 CST