Re: Disk to Disk backups and RMAN

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:52:54 -0800

Thanks Ruth.

This works fine for a manual process, but we need this to be 99% automated. The only manual intervention should be to put scratch tapes in the robot, or put in old tapes should we need to restore an older backup.

As Tom pointed out, the problem is how to have the software, ( RMAN in this case ) automatically load the correct tapes when the backup was made to disk, and then the disks were later backed up to tape.

I'll let everyone know when I know the answers.

Jared

                    "Ruth Gramolini"

                    <rgramolini_at_tax.st       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    ate.vt.us>               cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Re: Disk to Disk backups and
RMAN
                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    11/16/01 08:20 AM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

I have 5 tapes labeled Monday thru Friday. Friday's tape contain a level 1 backup made after the close of business Thursday afternoon and a level 0 backup made in early Friday morning which contains all of the changes made by batch processing Thursday nite and early Friday moning. It would not be
practical for us to go back further that a few days at best so we keep a weeks worth on tape. We are in archivelog mode and I backup and delete archivelogs with each backup.

If I want to got back to a point-in-time on the current day only need to pick the mornings tape which contains everything I need and I already have the archivelogs from this time of the until the current. I can restore the database from the backup and roll forward with the archivelogs.

If I need to go to a previous day I may have to bring more files back from tape to the backpset destination. But rman (using a catalog) always knows what he needs. It is possible to keep the output from the rman session so see which archivlogs are on the tape. We don't find this necessary for out operation.

If this is still to confusing let me know.

Regards,
Ruth

> Ruth,
>
> Jared brings up an interesting question.
>
> Do you back up the Rman Disk Backup files to tape, and how do you manage
> (keep track of) what files are on what set of tapes?
>
> For example, a daily Rman job would produce a set of backup files on
disk.
> I presume that another daily job would copy those files to a tape.
>
> Lets say, a week later, you need to perform a restore. How do you know
> which set of tapes to pull backups from, before you actually start the
Rman

Author: Ruth Gramolini