Parsing free-form text for InterMedia indexing

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:20:10 -0800

Hi all,

I've been struggling with trying to provide our users with a quick text search. InterMedia's doing OK, but I'm having trouble setting it up because the text I'm searching is free-form data entered by several users over the span of years. In other words, it's a word-jumble.

For example, one indexed string might contain "25 PIN", while another contains "25PIN", but I need to make sure that both come up in a query without needing the user to know to enter for multiple scenarios. How can that be indexed in IM? I think I want to have digits as separators, but not in words that are only digits, e.g. I don't want "123456" to be indexed as "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6".

I'm also having other problems with volumninous printjoins, but I'll tackle one problem at a time. :)

Thx!

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 15 2001 - 11:20:10 CST