Re: Correction : EMC symetrix - 1M stripe width - Raid 0+

From: Byron Pearce <bpearce_at_tenure.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:53:12 -0800

I agree with Don. We have always found it better to mirror at the EMC Symmetrix level and then handle striping requirements via the volume manager (such as Veritas Volume Manager). In fact, I presented a paper on this at IOUG-A last year.

The bottom line is to make sure that you properly design it. Just because it's on an EMC doesn't mean that you shouldn't build the system as optimally as possible. If you optimize the system and use the EMC intelligence and caching to enhance your performance, you'll get much better results than resoring to "cache-based tuning". If you tune based on cache, then the only way you'll ever be able to optimize is to buy more and more cache . . .which, of course, costs you cash. :-)

Don Granaman wrote:

> I have used the Symmetrix with hardware mirroring and software
> (Veritas Volume Manager) striping and seen significant performance
> gains over just mirroring in the Sym. It is going to depend a lot on
> your I/O patterns and volume though.
>
> I have used SAME, but in general wouldn't really recommend it for most
> systems (based on the concept though, not the stripe size). Sure it
> is "easy", but it isn't usually optimal. (If this is the "same" SAME
> I am thinking of - stripe and mirror everything across everything.)
> The EMC cache will buy a lot, but in the most demanding systems it is
> still important to segregate some physical I/O to distinct
> disks/disksets to reduce contention - and in the case of EMC, to
> better utilize the cache.
>
> I agree whole-heartedly on PowerPath!
>
> As always, I would recommend reading Gaja's paper at
> http://www.quest.com/whitepapers/Raid1.pdf
>
> -Don Granaman
> [OraSaurus]

Byron Pearce                         mailto:bpearce_at_tenure.com
Tenure Systems, Inc.                 Arlington, Texas

"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."

Author: Byron Pearce
  INET: bpearce_at_tenure.com