Re: real newbie question (i think)

From: Deepak Thapliyal <deepakthapliyal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:07:21 -0800

Hi Rich

>am i better off creating a new column in the existing

>table of the type clob or blob? should i create a
>new table to store this data?

This depends on what kind of queries hit this table. If most of your queries hit columns other than the lob then you are justified in creating new table for the lob so you have a 1-to-1 relationship between your original and lob table. obviously in order to tie your records of the lob table with the original table, include the pk of ur original table in the lob table and make it a FK pointing to the original table.

having said that, note that clob/blob is inline storage for data less than 250K (or some thing). Beyond that # the data will get stored outside in the lob tablespace you specified.

>and what would be my best way to keep these columns
>in sync...every time someone updated the long column
>i would want my new column updated to reflect the
>change

Does the foreign key creation stuff i wrote above answer this question. If not, please elaborate by what you mean by the "new column should reflect change"

Deepak

Do You Yahoo!?
Find the one for you at Yahoo! Personals http://personals.yahoo.com
Author: Deepak Thapliyal