Temporary Tablespace Problem

From: Arslan Dar <arslandar_at_skm.org.pk>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 00:15:02 -0800

Hi all,
Is there a way to alter a TEMPORARY table space to Logging from NoLogging. I issue the command, ALTER TABLESPACE TEMPORARY LOGGING;
The same command holds good for every other tablespace except for Temporary. I need to this because I wanted to setup the Standby database and was trying to copy the datafiles from the primary site to the Standby site, Online. For that I had put every tablespace in BEGIN BACKUP mode but Temporary couldn't be taken to the Backup Mode becuase of its Nologging attribute. The work around is to create another temporary tablespace and change every users default temporary tablespace to the new one and then drop this one and create a new Temporary file withthe same name. (or shutdown the database and then copy this file tothe other system) THis I will do becuase of the entry in the control file with the name for the Temporary tablespace.

But if there is a way the tablespace can be altered to logging, it will save quite some time. The tablespace is Locally Managed, and with Uniform Storage allocation. (Oracle 8.1.7 on WINNT4) Regards
Hussain
DBA
SKMCH & RC Received on Tue Nov 13 2001 - 02:15:02 CST