Re: Another Oracle DBA gets "The Bullet" WAS: Help!: Job Description for

From: <DBarbour_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:37:46 -0800

Thanks folks for the replies I got. Compiled them into a sort of superDeveloper/Data Architect/All-Around wonderful human being job description.

The job market in Austin is really poor for us "high-tech" types right now. This was the home or a principal branch office of a large number of failed dot coms and Internet business ventures. A partial list of Austin failures includes (but is by no means limited to):

Netpliance
Hand Technologies
ConnectSouth (my alma mater)
DrKoop.Com
Garden.Com
Furniture.Com
carOrder.Com

Layoffs in many (most?) surviving companies have further added to the glut of talent out on the streets. Other large Austin employers reducing staff in the tech area include AMD, Motorola, SamSung, IBM, Perficient and CSC. Non-tech companies such as law firms, travel agencies (they're pretty much toast right now anyway), and advertising agencies have been really hurt by the abrupt cessation of money which used to flow from the startups.

It's still a great place to live, but a month or two ago, even the Austin American-Statesman noted that the area was experiencing a "brain-drain" as the job-seeker/jobs ratio climbed ever higher. Last week, they posited the major reason for the area not experiencing a total employment tragedy was the abundance of State and Local jobs, which, until about 9 months ago, went begging as private industry vacuumed anybody who could spell "PC" off the street (if you could spell DBA you had it made).

The Sunday help-wanted ads have gone from 4 full pages of "Computer Jobs" to less than two columns, and there are very few senior positions available. We even used to have out-of-town companies advertise, but that trend has dried up as well.

It anin't pretty folks.

Maybe Scott (I still think I ought to drive down just to meet the guy) in San Antonio can give us a more regional perspective. At the height of the frenzy, I know a bunch of people who left positions in SA to come to Austin.

David A. Barbour
Oracle DBA, OCP
AISD
512-414-1002

                    "Troiano, Paul

                    (CAP, GEFA)"             To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <Paul.Troiano_at_geca       cc:

                    pital.com>               Subject:     RE: Help!: Job Description
for Data Architect
                    Sent by:

                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    11/12/2001 05:40