RE: 9i install on Win2K

From: Farnsworth, Dave <DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:03:12 -0800

Mark,

This is from a post on metastink. Let me know if this helps. If it doesn't I can do some more searching for you. I did a search using the error message you are getting.

Dave

RDBMS Version: 9iLite
Operating System and Version: Windows 2000 Error Number (if applicable):
Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Product Version: 9i Lite 5.0

New 9i Lite won't find jrew.exe

Just got the 9i lite from Technet and tried to install it. After I unziped it I tried to start the setup.exe I get the message:

The Java Runtime Environment was not found at bin\jrew.exe. Hence, the Oracle Universal Installer could not be run.

I went to web site and installed JRE 1.1.7 as it said. But no luck.

I noticed in the WIN32 folder there is another setup.exe and a ORAPARAM.INI file.. In the ORAPARAM.INI the paths were all wrong so I changed them to :
[Oracle]
DISTRIBUTION=TRUE
SOURCE=../products.jar
LICENSE_LOCATION=
JRE_LOCATION=../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.7.30/1/DataFiles/Expande d/jre
OUI_LOCATION=../stage/Components/oracle.swd.oui/1.7.1.9.0/1/DataFiles/Expand ed

And made sure the folders were there. When I start it from here nothing at all happens..

I can run the 8i Oracle Installer with no problems. So I did this and tried to point to 9i's products.jar. But it said it could not write to the file..Even though it's not read only . So I figure some compatability problem...

How can I get the darn thing to install?

Thanks...

Hello Timothey,

This is in the process of being resolved. It was discovered and proven that Olite9i 5.0 must be installed from an Oracle Universal Installer already installed on your machine.

The workaround:
Make sure you already have an Oracle 8.1.6 or 8.1.7 product installed on the machine. This would preferably be Oracle Server but the Client install should do.

Install Olite9i 5.0 from the Oracle Universal Installer already installed on your machine.

Note: This problem is appearing only in the downloaded version. As the CD version is yet to be released, it is unknown if this will be an issue when installed from the CD.

Regards,
Felix
Oracle Support Services.

Thanks I tried this. And it appeared to work however, the "Mobile Server Repository Wizard" did not appear. I assumed because there is some new feature in the Un. Installer

Without it I am not able to use it...

I would be happy to use Oracle 8i Lite but it is not available anymore at technet and my CD's are a bit old... Is 4.0.0.2.0 a stable version?

Hi Timothy,

4.0.1 is no longer available for download because of the O9i Lite (5.0) availability. If needed, you could still use the 4.0.0.2 but I would make sure to apply the latest patches.

  1. What Oracle8i DB version have you installed, 8.1.6 or 8.1.7? - Oracle_Home?
  2. What Oracle_Home have you placed the O9i Lite in?

Regards,
Felix
Oracle Support Services.

Author: Mark Leith
  INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

Author: Mark Leith
  INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com