Re:session marked for kill

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 08:21:08 -0800

Rollback is one definite possibility, so is the Duhveloper shutting down the process on his/her client machine. In either case, finding the process id and killing that process at the Unix level will also release stuff a lot faster.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Daiminger; Helmut" <Helmut.Daiminger_at_KirchGruppe.de>
Date:       11/9/2001 1:45 AM

Hi!

I got a call from one of our developers and was told that his app was hung on the dev box. So I issued an "alter system kill session" command. It took about 30 seconds then I got the message: session marked for kill.

But the connection still showed up in v$session, even after 5 minutes it was still there. Then I decided to shut down the db (which was ok since he was the only developer on the box): immediate didn't work (i.e. it took about 3 mins and nothing happened), so I issued a shutdown abort and restarted the instance.

Any idea what was going on? Why did it take so long? Was it all rollback activity?

This is 8.1.7 on sun Solaris.

Thanks,
Helmut

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>session marked for kill</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Hi!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I got a call from one of our developers and was
told that his app was hung on the dev box. So I issued an &quot;alter system kill session&quot; command. It took about 30 seconds then I got the message: session marked for kill.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">But the connection still showed up in v$session,
even after 5 minutes it was still there. Then I decided to shut down the db (which was ok since he was the only developer on the box): immediate didn't work (i.e. it took about 3 mins and nothing happened), so I issued a shutdown abort and restarted the instance.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Any idea what was going on? Why did it take so
long? Was it all rollback activity?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">This is 8.1.7 on sun Solaris.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Thanks,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Helmut</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>