RE: ORA-01720 while trying to grant select on a view

From: Hallas John <John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 05:17:53 -0800

See the Metalink Note below
Subject: grant select on view with grant option

RDBMS Version: 81511
Operating System and Version: nt 4 sp 5
Error Number (if applicable): ora-1720
Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Product Version:

grant select on view with grant option

I am having a problem with a grant. Here is the scenario.

User A has created view V in user A's schema. View V is based on table T in schema B. User A and C have select privs on table T in schema B via ROLE R. User A tries to grant select on view V to user C and gets the following error:

ORA-01720 grant option does not exist for 'B.T'

It is true that user A does not have select on B.T with grant option, but user C already has select privs on table T. I do want to grant with grant option to users as it is to much maintenance. Is there another way to deal with this kind of a situtation?

From: Ramesh Bala 12-Jul-01 22:42
Subject: Re : grant select on view with grant option

Hi Jonathan,

If your view is based on an underlying table from one schema just like what you described, you can create the view in the same schema and grant select on the view to users. That is create View V in schema B instead of user A and grant select on view V to both A & C.

If your view depends on tables from multiple schemas (like View V is based on B.T1 and D.T2) then you may be better off creating this view in an administrative user's schema which has privileges to both B.T1 and D.T2. Then grant view V to users A & C from the admin user who owns this view. In this case, only the admin user needs to have grant option for the underlying tables.

From: Oracle, Reem Munakash 13-Jul-01 18:57 Subject: Re : grant select on view with grant option

If userA wants to grant userC access to it's view, it will need 'with grant option' on the base table. This is even true if the table grant is made to PUBLIC. When userA goes to issue the grant, all we do is see if he has the privilges, we don't make that extra check to see if the grantee already has access to the object.

There is no way around this unless you have UserB create the view.

Reem Munakash
Electronic Support

From: Chan McMurray 13-Jul-01 19:36

thank you, Reem. that confirms what I found.

Author: Ranganath, Krishnaswamy
  INET: rangak_at_tanning.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

This email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of
legal professional privilege.  Any disclosure, use, storage or copying
of this email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.
Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended
recipient and then delete the email from your inbox and do not
disclose the contents to another person, use, copy or store the
information in any medium.