RE: "Application DBA" vs. DBA vs. Application Administrator

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 15:32:32 -0800

Patrice - I think the previous discussion was not referring to application developers that had appointed themselves to be an "application DBA" but to honest-to-goodness certified, card-carrying Oracle DBAs, some of whom tend to work with new development. I agree with you that DBA has the word "administer" in it which is inherently different from "developer".

        My interpretation of the previous discussion is that our workload as DBAs tends to be split between production support and development support. Some of us DBAs tend to migrate our careers toward jobs that involve almost entirely production support, while others crave the excitement of development situations. When a large application is developed and then moved into production, it is not unusual to see the DBA that shepherded the development to move onto another development project and be replaced by a DBA with a history of maintaining production databases.

        However, we must remember that developers come in a wide range of database capabilities. With some developers it is important to keep them on a tight reign so they don't do something that will cause problems in the future. Some developers have excellent database skills and may even have previously been a DBA (I know that is hard to believe, why would anyone give up the mad, carefree DBA life). I feel that you need to adapt your style to accommodate differences in development groups, development tools (some cause more DBA headaches than others), company politics, etc.

        The part that I struggle with is that I am the sole DBA for a group of production databases and I also support 4 separate groups of developers, each with their own competencies and tools. When push comes to shove (about every day), I tend to work on keeping the production databases going at the expense of sitting down with the developers to find what they are up to, coach them on modeling, etc. My manager doesn't always understand why I don't have time to keep the development side of my job going. In terms of justifying my salary, the development stuff has a lot more visibility. If anyone has any tips for balancing these two areas of responsibility I am eager to listen.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 08 2001 - 17:32:32 CST