RE: Alter different session

From: Hallas John <John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 01:48:38 -0800

I was interested in this as well and all I could find was the followng Metalink Note which refers to setting tracing on not altering a different session. It also refers to a package DBMS_SUPPORT which seems to fit the same purpose but appears relatively short-lived as it dissapeared in 8.1.6 onwards. I assume the DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION is seen as the prefferred option and there is no need for another package to do the same thing.

Just as a matter of interest what is your actual requirement for this as I cannot think of a reason at the moment

John

Note from Metalink - refers to setting trace on only. As recently as 5/18/2000 in doc id: NOTE:77343.1 the recommendation for setting level 4 trace for a specific session is to use DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_EV. See section 6.4 Level 4 Trace (Method 2).

As this is an important method to set the trace level, what method is recommended as a substitute if the SET_EV is no longer viable, considering I perform this via cron when needed until I can bounce the system to set it in init:

spool /tmp/settrace4.sql;
select 'EXEC DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_EV('||SID||','||SERIAL#||',10046,4,'''')' from v$session;
select 'EXIT;' from dual;
spool off;

Author: Libal, Ivo
  INET: ivo.libal_at_knapp-systems.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

This email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of legal professional privilege. Any disclosure, use, storage or copying of this email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient and then delete the email from your inbox and do not disclose the contents to another person, use, copy or store the information in any medium.