RE: Arch configuration -- I/O stuck

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 19:03:38 -0800

Hi Pablo,

I've seen an 'ls' hang for more than a minute under 10.20 when there were a lot of delayed writes pending on an
unrelated file-system. A colleague of mine (Chris Bunting) did some testing to reproduce the problem and concluded that all filesystems of the same type (JFS or HFS) were affected. HP made some kernel changes for 11.0 that have reduced the
severity of the problem, but it can still occur.

If your case the archive writes are not delayed writes because Oracle explicitly opens the files in synchronous mode, so
you should not see a delay any longer than that corresponding to the time that it would take your Symmetrix box to
destage the cache allocations for the target LUNs, unless there happens to be simultaneous heavy delayed write activity elsewhere on the system.

The failure of the multiblock_read_test.sql script probably indicates that the "large" table that you scanned already
had a large number of block in the cache.

@   Regards,
@   Steve Adams
@   http://www.ixora.com.au/              -  For DBAs
@   http://www.christianity.net.au/       -  For all