Re:RE: recover on different hardware

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 06:53:48 -0800

Barbara,

    Like Rachel I've been in the same place you are too, a couple of times. In every instance where I've been faced with recovering a database and/or datafile the worst part of the process is getting started. Namely figuring out 1) what's broke, 2) what do I have to fix it with, 3) where do I want to be in the end.

    In a case similar to yours (the disk farm blew), we recovered the previous cold backup to a replacement system of the same type. The problem I had was that the cold backup was from the previous weekend and it was Thursday with somewhere around 100 archived redo logs to play with and the online redo was lost with the disk farm. The answer was simply to restore everything, then before starting the DB I copied the one remaining control file from the old system onto the new system, replacing all of the existing files with this one. Now the control files were all in sync with each other, but not with the DB files. When the DB was started it of course complained that it needed recovery.  Recovered the DB with the 'until <datetime>' option so that I consumed all of the archived redo, but stopped short of the online redo, and reset the logs. In the end the DB opened normally with no problems, although it's uptime was VERY short, as I shut it down almost immediately and put a new backup of what I had in the safe.

    Once your over the initial sinking feeling in your stomach and adrenaline rush, it's a piece of cake. OH BTW, something we all should practice every once in a while. I know I do.

Dick Goulet

PS: if you get a chance, attend one of Rachel's presentations. It's more than well worth it. Actually change that to "make a chance".

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 08:53:48 CST