RE: CHANGING CHARACTER SET

From: Molina, Gerardo <Gerardo.Molina_at_schwab.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:43:04 -0800

Try this procedure:

The extra db bounce did the trick for me. Don't ask me why. I think I found it on MetaLink or opened a TAR.

HTH
Gerardo

SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- or NORMAL  <do a full database backup>

 SVRMGR> STARTUP MOUNT;
 SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION;
 SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;
 SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM SET AQ_TM_PROCESSES=0;
 SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
 SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET <new_character_set>;

 SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
 SVRMGR> STARTUP RESTRICT;  SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
 SVRMGR> STARTUP;
We are planning to change out database charater set from US7ASCII to UTF8 and we followed folowing steps as specified in metalink... but still when i see the trace of controlfile it shows character set as US7ASCII..
Do i need to do export/import to change takes place. we have oracle 8.1.7.1.5 on WIN2K.

 SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- or NORMAL <do a full database backup>
SVRMGR> STARTUP MOUNT;

 SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION;
 SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;
 SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM SET AQ_TM_PROCESSES=0;
 SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
 SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET <new_character_set>;
  SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- OR NORMAL SVRMGR> STARTUP; Thanks
-Harvinder

Author: Harvinder Singh
  INET: Harvinder.Singh_at_MetraTech.com

Author: Molina, Gerardo
  INET: Gerardo.Molina_at_schwab.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 00:43:04 CST