RE: Unable to rebuild database from hot backup

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:52:57 -0700

Is this recovery method valid? The loss of controlfiles is supposed to be recovered using the trace file generated from a previous BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE, isn't it? At least according to the Oracle8 Backup and Recovery class it is.

The part that concerns me is that you are recovering using an ONLINE redo log (don't know if it was the active one or not). Could be the paranoid in me, but that just doesn't seem right. The admission that "I don't think this is 100% true for every situation" would seem to suggest that you agree that this method shouldn't be used for backup/recovery on production databases.

My $.02.

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com