Re: URGENT -- db already exist ???

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 06:17:58 -0700

Small addition to the instruction below:

Sometimes, when trying to delete Oracle home directory (say D:\Ora8i), you may get an error, saying "could not delete" some oracle .dll (don't remember the exact name) from d:\Ora8i\bin directory - file "is in use". This may happen, because MSDTC (Microsoft Distributed Transactions Coordinator service) when running (and by default it is set to startup "automatically" on system boot) is loading before mentioned oracle .dll into memory for some reason (or without any reasons?:). Thus, you may get this error, when trying to delete the .dll. So, stopping this service will allow to delete the file.
In fact, if you know, that you are not using this service (or any other service set to startup "automatically") change it's settings to startup manually. Why wasting system resources?

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
Perceptron, Inc.
(734)414-4627

ineyman_at_perceptron.com

Gotta love Microsoft. Here's some instructions I got off this list from "Novice DBA" a while back on how to properly delete an Oracle Database on NT/2000:

Clearing up the System after an incomplete or improper installation of Oracle

-

Database Installation involves a set of procedures which need to be followed
in order to have a proper working installation. If we follow these procedures the Installation will be fine and usually problems related to improper installation do not arise. But it is not always possible to get a proper installation for the first time. This document is a troubleshooting guide which would help to clear off the mess created by an improper installation in a WindowsNT system.

First we need to know that During installation Oracle writes into certain directories (which we would have specified during installation) and also into the WindowsNT registry. WindowsNT registry is a repository of information about all the installed products and configurations on that system. When we are installing Oracle a directory is created in the registry
which is name oracle which is present in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/

In the case of an improper installation the problems faced are · We may not be able to uninstall the incomplete installation · We may succeed in uninstalling the incomplete installation but yet face problems with WindowsNT Services.
· Every time we log into WindowsNT we may get an error 'at least one system service failed to start' which may be an Oracle service from the earlier installation.
· We may get an error while creating a database 'the database with the name you specified already exists please chose another name' which again may be attributed to an improper un-installation.(I am not pretty comfortable with
the Oracle's Un-installation utility because I feel it does not uninstall everything)

Keeping the above points in mind it would be better if we know where exactly
to look in case we are faced with such problems. When oracle is installed it
makes entries in the following places
1. The first and the foremost- the directory in which we install the Oracle database (say D:\Ora8i)
2. The second is the inventory it maintains in the directory c:\program files\oracle
3. The third HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE in the registry 4. The other place is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM . Inside this entry there are three nodes controlset1,controlset2 and currentcontrolset. These nodes in turn have 4 nodes out of which 2 are important to us. They are Enum and Services. The Enum node has got two nodes out of which the 'root' node is of
great interest to us because it stores details about all the services that are running on a WindowsNT system. The other node of interest from the controlsets is Services. The services node has got a list of services running on a WindowsNT system.

In case we need to clean up the system after an incomplete installation we can follow the following steps
Delete the home directory where Oracle is installed Delete the folder C:\program files\oracle Note:- This clears off information
about any other Oracle utility installed on that system. Delete the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE Warning:- This clears off information about any other Oracle utility installed on that system and you may not be able to run those programs again. Delete the Oracle Related services from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CONTROLSETx/ENUM/ROOT/ . They will be named with a
prefix LEGACY_ORACLE... Note:- You will have to use regedt32.exe to invoke registry editor and not regedit. You will have to use the security menu and give permissions to yourself before deleting these entries. Else it will not
work . It is to be noted that there are three control sets and all the three
(in reality any 2) need to be cleared off these un-necessary entries.
Delete the Oracle Related services from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CONTROLSETx/SERVICES . They will have a prefix 'Oracle'.

I have also attached a document having the same contents Jared will this get a chance ??
joking??
coz
I am a
novice

David A. Barbour
Oracle DBA, OCP
AISD
512-414-1002

                    Leslie Lu
                    <leslie_y_lu_at_y       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    ahoo.com>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     URGENT -- db already
exist ???
                    root_at_fatcity.c
                    om

                    10/25/2001
                    04:10 PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Hi all,

I created a 815 database on NT4. Since there is something wrong with it, I used db config assist to delete it. When I tried to create a database with exactly the same name, I got message that "db already exist." I already deleted entried in tnsnames and listener.ora. I must use that particular name. Where else does the name got logged?

Thank you!

Leslie

Do You Yahoo!?
Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals. http://personals.yahoo.com
Author: Leslie Lu
  INET: leslie_y_lu_at_yahoo.com

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Igor Neyman INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L