RE: Where 1 = 1

From: <G.Plivna_at_itsystems.lv>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 02:32:25 -0700

Maybe You could find useful such approach:

where_clause = '';
comma = ' WHERE ';
LOOP
  where_clause = comma || new_condition;   comma = ' AND ';
END LOOP; So in this case You don't need always WHERE in your select especially such interesting construction like 1=1

BUT as always IT DEPENDS...

Gints Plivna
IT Sistēmas, Merķeļa 13, LV1050 Rīga
http://www.itsystems.lv/gints/

                    Iulian.ILIES_at_mob

                    il-rom.com             To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:               cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.com       Subject:     RE: Where 1 = 1

                    2001.10.26 09:55

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

I sometime used this kind of aproach when I dinamically build the WHERE expression.
Something like this:

where_condition := ' WHERE 1 = 1 '
LOOP
   where_condition := ' AND ' || new_condition END LOOP
The point is if there are any condition to add the first condition is always
true so it won't affect the final where_condition. The same is when there aren't any condition to add.
And in some cases there are really no conditions to add, thus your final query will have only a condition like ' WHERE 1 = 1 '.

If you need to connect all the intermediate condition by OR operator probably you will use the
WHERE 1 = 0. I hope I'll make my point clear enough and of course is any related to your case. Maybe if you show us the entire query, someone can tell you more about
it.

Regards
Iulian Ilies

Author: Ed Bittel
  INET: bitlist_at_yahoo.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Mobil Rom is neither liable for the proper, complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor any delay in its receipt.

  INET: Iulian.ILIES_at_mobil-rom.com

  INET: G.Plivna_at_itsystems.lv

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 26 2001 - 04:32:25 CDT