RE: Link to DB2

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:51:28 -0700

Small
web application connected to DB2 and URL that will send a XML file to Oracle when it it's requested from Oracle Server might be good solution.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Regards,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Waleed

<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Johnston, Tim   [mailto:TJohnston_at_quallaby.com]Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001   7:25 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Link to DB2
  Out
  of curiosity, is the DB2 database on NT, Unix or a mainframe?  My DB2   knowledge is more on the mainframe side and the Unix/NT implementations may be   easier to deal with...  But, that being said....
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>
  If
  you need the data in a real time manner then the Transparent Gateway may   be your best bet...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>
<A

  href="">http://technet.oracle.com/products/gateways/content.html
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>Alternatively, you could connect to the DB2 database from your web app   using DRDA (Basically the Net8 equivalent for DB2...  I   think it stands for Distributed Remote Database Access) and extract the   information...  Process it and then store it in the Oracle   database...  Last time I dealt with this there were some third party   vendors that offered ODBC drivers but IBM did not have one that shipped with   the product...  I assume that they have probably come a long way in this   area over the last couple years...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>Also, if this is a batch task that happens in the background on   periodic intervals, then you may be able to implement another   solution...  An example would be...  Unload the data from DB2 using   whatever solutions you have available ( i.e. a DB2 utility, QMF, a custom   program ) and place it into a flat file...  Then use SQL*Loader   to load the information into a staging table on the Oracle side...    Process the data and insert it into the "real" tables and don't forget to   cleanup the staging table...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>:-)
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>
  Hope
  this helps...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

  size=2>Tim

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Hamid Alavi     [mailto:hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com]Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001     5:26 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list     ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Link to DB2
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Tim,
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    We
    have an oracle database(8.1.6) on NT2k and we need retrieve some records     from another database DB2 and after some processing on these records store     it in our database, these all will be doing thru an web base     application.
    am looking for the best solution to link the oracle to DB2, don't know ODBC     or JDBC will work or may be we need some gateway or third part software, I     have no idea.

      [mailto:TJohnston_at_quallaby.com]Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001
      2:06 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Link to DB2
      That probably depends on what you need the link
      for...  Can you further define the requirement of what you are trying
      to do?
      Tim
      PS - I have no experience with them but Oracle does offer
      Transparent Gateways to other dbms platforms...  I'm not 100% sure
      but I think DB2 is one of them...  But depending on your needs it may
      be more or less then you really need...
      -----Original Message----- From:
      Hamid Alavi [<A
      href="">mailto:hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com]
      Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 4:01 PM <FONT
      size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT
      size=2>Subject: Link to DB2
      List,
      What's the best solution for linking oracle to DB2
      Oracle 8.1.6 on NT2K
      Hamid Alavi Office 818
      737-0526 Cell    818
      402-1987
      The information contained in this message and any
      attachments is intended only for the use of the
      individual or entity to which it is addressed, and <FONT
      size=2>may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL and exempt
      from disclosure under applicable law. If you have
      received this message in error, you are prohibited
      from copying, distributing, or using the information. <FONT
      size=2>Please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete
      the original message from your system.
      -- Please see the official
      ORACLE-L FAQ: <A target=_blank
      href="">http://www.orafaq.com <FONT
      size=2>-- Author: Hamid Alavi <FONT
      size=2>  INET: hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com
      Fat City Network Services    -- (858)
      538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego,
      California        -- Public Internet
      access / Mailing Lists <FONT
      To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail
      message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT
      spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY,
      include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the
      name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
      also send the HELP command for other information (like
      subscribing).

    The information contained in this message and any     attachments is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to     which it is addressed, and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED,     CONFIDENTIAL and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have     received this message in error, you are prohibited from copying,     distributing, or using the information. Please contact the sender     immediately by return e-mail and delete the original message from your     system. Received on Thu Oct 25 2001 - 17:51:28 CDT