RE: Unable to rebuild database from hot backup

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:38:17 -0700

Jay,

It is reasonable to assume that your hot backup is NOT ok ;-)

This is *possibly* because this particular file (or maybe more files to come) wasn't backed up for a while. Can you look at the timestamp of this file (and other files) in the backup that you restored? That should give you a clue... I think this is what's happening here: Oracle needs to make sure as many logs as needed should be applied to this 'old' file so that the SCN on this particular file matches the latest one found in the system.dbf, so you need to keep applying from that point in time until now.... Another clue is to trace your archive logs - look at the one that you started applying. The time on that one is probably the time that your backup of that particular file became invalid....

Hth,
John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc