Oracle 8.1.6 (8i) installation

From: Richard O'Mahony <richard.omahony_at_comnitel.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:39:39 -0700

Hi All,

        I am relativly new to Oracle and I am having a problem installing Oracle 8.1.6 on a sparc ultra 10 running solaris 8. The problem arises when it reaches the linking stage of the installation. The error message that appears on the screen says

                        Error n invoking target ntcontab.0 of
                        makefile
                        /vendor/oracle/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk

in the log file it says
                        Exception thrown from action: make
                        Exception Name: MakefileException
                        Exception String: Error in invoking target ntcontab.o of
makefile
/vendor/oracle/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk
                        Exception Severity: 1

If i do an ls -al on /usr/ccs/bin/make I get
                        -rwxrwxr-x   1 root     other     273196 Oct 25 16:10

/usr/ccs/bin/make

Also here is the contents of the /etc/system file

                        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
                        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
                        set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=20
                        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
                        set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
                        set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
                        set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
                        set semsys:seminfo_semopn=100
                        set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767
                        forceload: sys/shmsys
                        forceload: sys/semsys

One thing to note is that the version of make I am running is make-3.77-sol7-sparc-local, inorder to get a make binary in the /usr/ccs/bin directory I copied it from another machine (it did not seem to get installed there during the make installation). A solution to this problem is urgent and I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have I have tried jst about everything I can think of.
Thanks.
Richard...

Author: Richard O'Mahony
  INET: richard.omahony_at_comnitel.com