How to query Standby database ...

From: Anjan Thakuria <anjan.thakuria_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:27:56 -0700

Hi,
We have a standby environment where due to application constraints we have to apply logs based on the application progress. However before I was made responsible the remote archiving was not enabled, and files were transferred through a script.  Now to clear the archive dest I need to write a script to delete only the logs that have been backed up and applied. So here are my questions... 1.    On the standby host I can get into the database -- sqlplus '/ as sysdba' . How can I get onto it remotely since I need to get in as somebody as SYSDBA. If I try sqlplus '"sys/password_at_connect_string as sysdba'"  it still asks me for a password. What am I doing wrong.

2.     This is an academic question. Am  I correct in assuming that password changes done in the production is passed onto the standby database.
3.    I try to logon to the standby database locally as follows
sqlplus 'sys as sysdba' and get the following.. ORA-01033 Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anjan