Re: Move tablespace with no downtime?

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:32:20 -0700

Here's a trick I like to reduce the downtime associated with moving large datafiles:

  1. Place the tablespace that contains the file(s) you want to move into backup mode:
    • alter tablespace <name> begin backup;
  2. Copy the file(s):
    • cp <oldfilespec> <newfilespec>
    • If you are moving multiple files, you can do this in parallel
  3. Take the tablespace out of backup mode:
    • alter tablespace <name> end backup;
  4. (Now the very brief downtile begins) Take the tablespace offline immediate
    • alter tablespace <name> offline immediate;
  5. Issue the rename:
    • alter database rename file <oldfilespec> to <newfilespec>;
  6. Recover the new file(s) or the whole tablespace (should be quite brief)
    • recover [datafile|tablespace] <name>;
  7. (Now the very brief downtime ends) Bring the tablespace online again:
    • alter tablespace <name> online;
--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).