Speaking the same language

From: Djordje Jankovic <djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:04:56 -0700

We need to communicate inside a team made of DBAs that support different database platforms: oracle, sql*server, Sybase, adabase (Am I wrong that sql*server and sybase terminology is pretty much the same?). There are some terminology differences between different databases (to start with the word "database" that means different in oracle and sql*server world). I have tried to compile a start terminology difference list. If you could contribute to the list you can send an e-mail to me directly, I would compile the list and send the compiled version to the list. If you don't hear back from me that probably means that the list was not very responsive :-(. Also, please let me know if you think some terminology is wrong in this list.

Thanks.

Djordje Jankovic
djordjej_at_attcanada.ca

Oracle                  SqlServer

DB2
Database                        Server
Schema                  Database
Sys schema                      Master database
Tablespace                      File group
SYSTEM tablespace               Primary data file
other tablespaces               Secondary data files
Redo log file           Log file
Database block          Page
Extent                  Extent (8 pages -> 64K).

(multiple of blocks) Can be shared by logical objects.
Data dictionary System catalog Data dictionary views System catalog tables dba_objects sysobjects dba_tab_columns syscolumns dba_indexes sysindexes
Author: Djordje Jankovic
  INET: djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca