RMAN: nocatalog; remove backed up archived redos

From: Leng Kaing <lkaing_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:51:39 -0700

Hello everyone,

Env: 8i and 8.0

I've been digging around the rman manuals and metalink but can't seem to find anything decent on this so thought I'd try this forum...

Firstly, what functionality do you loose when you don't use a catalog?

2ndly, how does one delete old backups? I'm backing up to disk. All is fine with the backup. But now I need to delete the backups from disk, and remove the information about the backup from the controlfile.

Tried doing this but failed:

RMAN> allocate channel for delete type disk;
RMAN-03022: compiling command: allocate
RMAN-03023: executing command: allocate
RMAN-08030: allocated channel: delete_05
RMAN-08500: channel delete_05: sid=15 devtype=DISK

RMAN> change backuppiece 70 delete;

RMAN-03022: compiling command: change
RMAN-03026: error recovery releasing channel resources
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: change
RMAN-06091: no channel allocated for maintenance (of an appropriate
type)

What's wrong here? I've allocated a channel and RMAN acknowledges that it's for delete. But can't do it.

Help!!

Thanks,

Leng.

Leng Kaing - lkaing_at_yahoo.com
Ph: +61-3-417-371-348
AUSOUG-VIC : http://www.ausoug.org/vic/

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase - Manage your files online.

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Leng=20Kaing?=
  INET: lkaing_at_yahoo.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Oct 23 2001 - 16:51:39 CDT