Re[2]: Re:identifying a database

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:21:36 -0700

Well, I'd suggest setting 'global_name = true' in your init.ora files. Then the database names in global_names have to be unique.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Marin Dimitrov" <marin.dimitrov_at_sirma.bg>
Date:       10/23/2001 8:10 AM

> Marin,
>
> Not sure I understand the question. Each database needs a unique sid
on
> that machine. You can use the same sid on different computers, but not on
the
> same one. According to MetaLink DBID is not a unique indicator.

I don't want to mess with SIDs, what I need is a globally unique identifier of the database (or one with sufficiently small probability of being duplicated)

The reason I need this is because in the application a user may read some object from a database and when he tries to save the object back I need to be sure that the database used is the same as the one the object originates from (one usually deals with few objects from different databases)

So, if DBID is not unique how could I generate an almost globally unique number?
(I don't quite like calling SYS_GUID() because it returns RAW)

thanx,

    Marin

"...what you brought from your past, is of no use in your present. When you must choose a new path, do not bring old experiences with you. Those who strike out afresh, but who attempt to retain a little of the old life, end up torn apart by their own memories. "
Author: Marin Dimitrov
  INET: marin.dimitrov_at_sirma.bg

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com