Session marked for kill

From: Alon Ben-Zvi <Alon.Ben-Zvi_at_demantra.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:21:39 -0700

Hi

What is the name of the parameter?

Alon

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 10:40 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

That's not what this parameter controls. It actually is designed to automatically clean up sessions that have lost their client connection. If this parameter is set to ten minutes then SQL*Net/Net8 automatically "pings" all active connections every ten minutes to see if the remote connection responds. If it doesn't then the server process is cleaned up and dropped.

What is a really useful side benefit of this behavior is tricking firewalls so your inactive connections don't get cut. Since the "ping" generates network traffic the firewall thinks that the connection is still active.

Hope this helps.

--Michael

Author: "Jenkins; Michael" <Michael.Jenkins_at_Nextel.com>
Date:       10/12/2001 7:25 AM

Wouldn't it just be easier and much more thorough to use the SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME setting to "automagically" clean up dead connections?

Author: "Arn Klammer" <Arn.Klammer_at_austrac.gov.au>
Date:       10/11/2001 4:50 PM

Sometimes we get a runaway Oracle process on our development machine. In those
circumstances, I usually issue an alter system kill session command. Sometimes
I get the above message after the kill times out. As I understand it, the process was doing something that couldn't be interrupted, and so when it completes its current command, it will then be killed. Is this correct?

In these instances, the corresponding Unix process is still active, still chewing up a lot of CPU, and to alleviate the impact as soon as possible, I kill
the Unix process as well.

Is this a bad thing? Is there a better way I can handle these runaway processes?

Thanx

-a

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com

Author: Arn Klammer
  INET: Arn.Klammer_at_austrac.gov.au

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Jenkins, Michael
  INET: Michael.Jenkins_at_Nextel.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Jenkins, Michael
  INET: Michael.Jenkins_at_Nextel.com

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us

Author: Jenkins, Michael
  INET: Michael.Jenkins_at_Nextel.com

Author: Alon Ben-Zvi
  INET: Alon.Ben-Zvi_at_demantra.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Oct 23 2001 - 00:21:39 CDT