Re: Statspack Question

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <oraperfman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:00:31 -0700

Hi Bill,

Cache-hit ratios are probably one of the most irrelevant and misleading metrics that one has to deal with in the Oracle performance tuning space. You have real proof in your hands in the form of 2 statspack reports. Yes you are comparing apples to oranges, as the performance health of an Oracle database, has nothing to do with cache-hit ratios.

You need to focus on the wait events, find out what they are (which you know already) and further investigate what is causing it (the SQL). The two wait events that you have as your "top 2" are both I/O related wait events. db file scattered read relates to waits associated with full-table scans and db file sequential read relates to waits associated with index scans.

A very high cache-hit ratio is normally an indication of 1 of 2 things:

  1. The entire database fits in memory (highly unlikely)
  2. The applications (SQL) leave a lot to be desired, in that they perform too many repeated logical I/Os.

One such type of query that can do that is a "correlated sub-query". It will touch the same set of blocks, over and over again, thus inflating the cache-hit ratio, but will provide very poor throughput, although it will consumes inordinate amounts of CPU (due to high amounts of logical I/O). And there are many more such CPU-hoggers which perform large amounts of logical I/O with no end in sight.

I would go as far as saying that I could care less if you did not look at another cache-hit ratio in your life, so long as you look at the wait events, you will be looking at your database's bottlenecks, and in the world of Oracle Performance Tuning, that is all that counts.

Hope that helps,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, Storage Management Products,