Re: Client install from hell

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 04:16:42 -0700

We have had the same problem for a long time.  Work-around was to do a custom install and pick a few products at a time.  Then one day decided to install Oracle workflow client and did not have a "custom" option. Oracle solved problem by granting full control to system/everyone on the drive installing to.

Jeffrey BeckstromDatabase AdministratorGreater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority1240 W. 6th StreetCleveland, Ohio 44113(216) 781-4204>>> abardeen1_at_yahoo.com 10/22/01 7:50:19 AM >>>Dave,I suspect this is bug 1291239 "OUI DISAPPEARS WHILEINSTALLING OLE DB COMPONENTS" that is not yet fixed. The workaround is to do as Simon said and install inmultiple passes.  1- Choose the custom install type. Select forinstallation only the problem component (e.g. OracleProvider for OLE DB).  The last itemName in theinstallactions.log is the "problem component." De-select all other components you're allowed to. Thiswill ensure that you only install the minimum numberof components possible to install the problemcomponent.2- After the first session is done, now restart OUIand start a new installation. This time you can selectthe typical install type (or any other install type).The items installed during the first pass will not bereinstalled during the second pass.BTW, both bug 1291239 and bug 1560970 appear to berelated to having the Novell client installed.  Perchance is that installed on the ones giving youproblems?HTH,-- Anita---
Simon.Anderson_at_scisys.co.uk wrote:> > "Farnsworth, Dave" <DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com>> on 10/19/2001 07:15:24 PM> > Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> > To:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L> <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>> cc:    (bcc: Simon Anderson/SSplc)> > > I think I've seen this before, it certainly sounds> familiar...> I've no idea what causes it, but I found a> workaround was to only install a> small number of components at a time - for some> reason, that seems to work.>
> Let us all know if you come up with a better> solution.>
> Simon Anderson> > > I am having a problem on a
couple of client> installs.  I have Oracle 8.1.7> to be installed on NT 4.0 SP6.  The install starts> out fine, I select a> Orahome and then it starts to install.  When it gets> to 90% all of a sudden> the install wizard screen just disappears without> any error messages.  I can> see that it created a new directory and copied a> bunch of files to the hard> drive.  I can even double click on the SQLPlus icon> and it launches asking> me for a username, password, and database.> Then if I put the client CD back in and click on the> "show installed> components", it tells me that there are no Oracle> components installed.  I> look in the registry and a registry for Oracle has> been created.  I have> done this about twenty times and get the exact same> results.  I even tried a> different CD but that does not change things.> During the install Oracle will write to a log but> this log tells me nothing> except what it installed, without one stinking clue> as to what is causing> this to puke.> I get this just on two PC's with identical results. > Has anyone seen this> before?  I can go to other PC's and install without> a hitch.  These PC's do> work and have plenty of disk space.> Any ideas, ,,,,,,,anything?> > Thanks,>

Yahoo!?Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.<A href="">http://personals.yahoo.com--
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="">http://www.orafaq.com-- Author: A. Bardeen  INET: abardeen1_at_yahoo.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Oct 22 2001 - 06:16:42 CDT