RE: Design question DW

From: Aponte, Tony <AponteT_at_hsn.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:23:10 -0700

I consider the skillset I acquired as an extension of the OLTP ones I already had.  Some lessons I learned:

think big (lots of data, parallelize queries and object creation/maintenance),

move to SAFE tablespace layouts (famous paper 711) to reduce object sizing and defrag work,

bone up on partitioning features and caveats,

ditto for locally-managed tablespaces,

denormalize tables to speed query response times,

don't denormalize to make it easier for developing SQL,

live without database-enforced constraints that slow down DML (enforce it on the load programs)

don't run in archivelog mode,

replace traditional cold backups with transportable tablespaces (will keep your DW in read-only mode while backup executes)

wide-striping performed better that manual object/datafile/device I/O balancing,

and I can't emphasize this enough, get design help from the professionals.  Our 1st through 4th attempt at deploying a DW were driven by OLTP programmers.  In the words of an independent audit (read $$$) conducted on our DW "It's an OLTP programmer's view of a DW.  Keep the named of the DW and trash the rest."  Heads rolled, money was misspent and I lost some more hair.

If you haven't already done so I suggest reading almost everything in http://www.billinmon.com/  http://www.ralphkimball.com/ to get up to speed on DW concepts.  I'm not totally sure but I think your case is referred to a multi-values source system fields and has been addressed in one of the two sites.  I learned that for starters the approach I would take is to gather typical questions that are asked of the OLTP system (i.e.. foreign cars that used p240 tires, foreign cars that take 2 or more tire sizes, all cars that use p250 and p200).  Each one of these implies that the multi-values column should be parsed out into separate tables (one dimension table for cars, one for tire sizes, and another helper table for car/tire size rows).  You'll find many of these terms in the two websites.  The 3 tables could answer the examples as follows (excuse my syntax errors):

Foreign cars that used p240 tires:

Select

  car,count(*)

from

  car_table, car_tire_table

where

  car_table.domestic=false

and

  car_table.car = car_tire_table.car

and

  car_tire_table.tire_size = 'p240';

Foreign cars that take 2 or more tire sizes:

Select

  car,count(*)

from

  car_table, car_tire_table

where

  car_table.domestic=false

and

  car_table.car = car_tire_table.car

group by

  car

having

  count(*) > 1;

All cars that use p250 and p200 tires

Select

  car

from

  car_tire_table

where

  car_tire_table.tire_size in ('p250','p200');

My point here is to show that gathering few common questions coupled with a little knowledge of DW concepts can jumpstart your thinking in DW design terms (or scare you enough to seek out people that do it for a living).

HTH Tony Aponte