Re: Question about temporary segments

From: Yosi Greenfield <yosi_at_comhill.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:36:15 -0700

Mike,

When it creates an index, Oracle doesn't make it visible as it's being built. So

basically, Oracle creates the index as a temporary segment in the location it will belong when it's done being created. When Oracle finishes creating the index, Oracle then makes the index 'un-temporary', gives it its specified index name, and leaves it where it is.

The alternative would be to create the index in TEMP and then take the extra step of moving the index to its final destination. Oracle doesn't do that.

Note that these are different temp segments than the ones Oracle uses to sort the data in order to build the index. Those are, as you noted, stored in TEMP.

HTH, Yosi

Author: Yosi Greenfield
  INET: yosi_at_comhill.com