Re: Question - Oracle's "TEMP" tablespace and a user's "temporary

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:45:49 -0700

Well... Again - "sort of". Temporary segments for "normal" stuff (e.g. SQL "order by", joins, etc.) will occur in USER_TEMP. Sorts for segment operations, parallel index builds and the like, may occur elsewhere.

-Don Granaman
(OraSaurus - Honk if you remember OPS ;-)

> Don;
> Thanks very much for your reply. All very understandable. However,
let me
> ask a direct question; does this mean that, given a user having been
> explicitly assigned a temporary tablespace (ie. USER_TEMP), that all
of that
> user's sorts and temporary segments will occur in the assigned
(USER_TEMP)
> tablespace and nowhere else.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Michael L. Petrus
> GE Auto Warranty Services
> 7125 W. Jefferson Av. #200
> Lakewood, CO 80235
>
> Database Administrator
>
> Phone: (303) 987 4129

tablespace?

> > It is my assumption that Oracle's "TEMP" tablespace is the area
used
> by
> > Oracle for it's processes to sort in.
> >
> > It is also my assumption that the user specific "TEMPORARY"
> tablespace is
> > used to hold temporary segments that are created when the user
> builds an
> > index or creates a table, etc..
> >
> > If I am off base please set me straight.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Michael L. Petrus
> > GE Auto Warranty Services
> > 7125 W. Jefferson Av. #200
> > Lakewood, CO 80235
> >
> > Database Administrator
> >
> > Phone: (303) 987 4129
> > Fax: (303) 987 4298
> > Email: Mike.Petrus2_at_gecapital.com

> Author: Don Granaman
> INET: granaman_at_home.com

> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com