RE: no-routine log file sync

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:39:28 -0700

Hi Diego,

DBWn no longer waits in 'log file sync' waits for LGWR to sync the redo for recent changes to write batch blocks, as it
used to under Oracle7. Instead it sends an asynchronous request to LGWR to sync the required RBA and then moves the
affected blocks to something called the deferred queue. Blocks on the deferred queue are included at the head of the
next write batch, by which time the LGWR sync should be well and truly over.

Group commits do not reduce the number of 'log file sync' waits; they only reduce the number of 'log file parallel
writes'.

There are plenty of reasons why the numbers of 'user commits' and 'log file sync' waits will not be exactly the same,
however, the correlation should be strong and if not it might be worth investigating why.

@   Regards,
@   Steve Adams
@   http://www.ixora.com.au/
@   http://www.christianity.net.au/