RE: Index Myth or Fact: Most discriminating elements should be

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 05:15:22 -0700

  I was taught and still practice that a composite index or parts there of will only be used if the index order matches the where clause order. Ex: index on col1,col2,col3

where col1,col2,col3      index used
where col1,col2             index used
where col2,col3             index not used
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> ktoepke_at_trilegiant.com 10/17/01 02:18PM >>>
Directly from the horse's mouth...er the "Oracle8i Designing and Tuning for Performance" manual.

    If all keys are used in WHERE clauses equally often, then ordering these keys from most selective to least selective in the CREATE INDEX statement best improves query performance.

Kevin

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

Author: Toepke, Kevin M