RE: Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris vs. Linux

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:57:33 -0700

Our VALinux 4450's rock... 4 PentiumIII CPU's, 4MB RAM, EMC Symmetrix. No benchmarks but it "feels" faster on CPU heavy processes. We were going to benchmark against a Sun 450 but damagement just made the decision without testing. We have suffered a bit due to bugs that were fixed for Solaris but not for Linux. However, with the recent 8.1.7.2 patch it appears we are on a par as regards functionality and are probably outperforming more expensive Sun servers. Wish there was time to do some benchmarking but VALinux is "nolonger in the hardware business" so it would be academic. Anyway, long term it looks like the Intel/Linux combination will make for strong servers. The better, faster, cheaper phenomenon for PC's is extending to the server market and Sun, HP, and IBM will have to compete. If only EMC hardware and Oracle software would follow this trend in like manner...

Steve Orr

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com