Q about autoextent tablespaces and performance

From: Schoen Volker <v.schoen_at_inplan.de>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 09:31:53 -0700

Hi list,

I need some opinions about following question.

I have a developer box with about 20 schemas. Sometimes our customers send us a export of there data which I had to import into our develop instance. My problem is that I don't now how much space I need for those imports. My solution is to create tablespaces with about 50 MB and set autoextent on (localy managed). I import the customers data first time and tablespace may use 200 mb. After some weeks I get the next export. After import, tablespace growth to 300 mb.

So now my question, is it better to create a large tablespace, because of continouges db and hdd blocks, or does this have no influence or small influence on performance. I prefer to build small tablespaces with limited autoextent option. Reason is, that my cold backups were quicker, cause I do not have to reserve a lot of unused space for my tablespaces.

I have databases on Suse Linux, NT4 and W2K. This question is for all platform. If there are some platform specific issues, please let me know.

Hope you understand my question.

TIA Volker Schoen
E-Mail: mailto:v.schoen_at_inplan.de
http://www.inplan.de Received on Fri Oct 05 2001 - 11:31:53 CDT