book?

From: Suhen Pather <Suhen.Pather_at_strandbags.com.au>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 20:50:02 -0700

List,

I found Rich Niemiec's book absolutely useless. The book had many pages but did not contain much valuable information. Actually lots of the information in the book was inaccurate and misleading (Stay away).

For advanced performance tuning refer to Oracle 8i Internal Services by Steve Adams, a very thin book with invaluable information about waits, latches and locks.

I also found the Oracle Press book, Oracle 8 Tuning totally a waste by Michael Cory, Michael Abbey, ...

I would recommend Practical Oracle 8i by Jonathan Lewis. Lots of good and up to the date information.

Also Oracle Performance Tuning 101 by Gaja and Kirti makes an excellent tuning book which I strongly recommend.

Regards
Suhen

Wednesday, October 03, 2001, 4:58:13 PM, you wrote: CS> O'Reilly Performance Tuning (Older but just awesome)

Mark Gurry, author of the above, has an Oracle SQL Tuning Pocket Reference coming out in late November.

The tuning book I use most often is Rich Niemiec's Oracle Performance Tuning Tips and Techniques. I also remember liking Guy Harrison's Oracle SQL High-Performance Tuning, but you have to watch because now there's another book on the market with a confusingly similar title.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com * 906.387.1698 http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://MetalDrums.org

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

Author: Suhen Pather
  INET: Suhen.Pather_at_strandbags.com.au
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 04 2001 - 22:50:02 CDT