RE: Intermedia Performance Benchmarks anyone ?

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 08:00:34 -0700

Hi Martin,

I've had to implement intermedia in the past.  with 1 million records intermedia will do the job in an acceptable amount of time.

However, when testing it I found that the more advanced features I used (fuzzy, etc.) the worse performance became.  It works well if you are doing a straightforward search.

I also found there were problems with creating the library on HP/UX (part of the install).  I had to create it manually.

There are also tricks for indexing more than one column in one index.  The documentation says you can't, but it can be done.  I know there are people on the list that have done this.

I didn't run any formal benchmarks.  We had indexed ~6million records on long fields (like description) and performance was directly related to how selective the keywords were.

Indexing time - If I remember right, creating one index on one of these description columns ran in ~2 hours.  I also batched my updates.  (I didn't run ctxsrv)  The index ended up being ~1.5GB.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try and answer them.

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
954-935-4117

Author: Martin Kendall
  INET: Martin.Kendall_at_Rubus.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 04 2001 - 10:00:34 CDT