RE: JDBC on Unix box

From: Guy Hammond <guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:40:09 -0700

I'm assuming that you have Oracle Client installed on the Tomcat server, and that you are running Java Beans on the server. Add
$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip to $CLASSPATH and you're all set for
the thin JDBC driver. The thin driver does not require any configuration of tnsnames.ora. If you want to use the OCI JDBC driver, then you will need to have the tnsnames.ora on the Tomcat server configured with the database on the other server, and maybe $ORACLE_HOME/lib in
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH too.

If you want to connect from an applet with JDBC, then the database has to be on the same machine as the web server. This is a constraint imposed by the applet Java implementation.

HTH, g

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Guy Hammond