RE: JDBC on Unix box

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 07:24:35 -0700

You need to goto Java.Sun.Com and download the SDK. 1.3 is stable, 1.4 is beta (although I do use 1.4 and it works good, but I would recommend 1.3 for production).

You will need to unpack it, I generally install it in /usr/java1.4 and make symbolic links in /usr/bin for all the common tools (java, javac, jdb).

I also modify profile scripts to have env JAVA_HOME /usr/java/1.4 And add the following to the path $JAVA_HOME/bin

At that point, you have the JDK/JVM installed.

You want to then get the classes12.zip from the $ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib directory and put them some where on your system you want to connect with.

You need to modify the classpath to include this file, or specify it when doing javac/java with the -cp option.

HTH, "Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

Christopher R. Spence
Oracle DBA
Phone: (978) 322-5744
Fax: (707) 885-2275

Fuelspot
73 Princeton Street
North, Chelmsford 01863

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 04 2001 - 09:24:35 CDT