RE: Comparing data between two tables in two schema

From: Szecsy Tamas <tszecsy_at_GEOMETRIA.hu>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 00:06:01 -0700

Rao,

I have a simple WinNT command line tool that I wrote and I have the source code for it.

It generates a txt based file of one schema or of a subset of it. Then you can let it compare to an other schema or part of it. The structure of data must be the same, though the tables and columns in on schema can have different names than in the others. The result of the comparison is a SQL file that contains insert, update and delete commands to bring the second schema in sync with the data in the 'txt based export' file. It works for Oracle 8 and Oracle 8i, support data, number, char, varchar type date but no objects. You can also generate SQL*Loader files with for the schema.

I use it for keeping offline user sites schemas in sync with the master database, where I can not offerd to drop the schema and recreate it by importing it, since the schema is in use 24x7 the time.

Tamas Szecsy

Author: "Gogala; Mladen" <MGogala_at_oxhp.com>
Date:       10/2/2001 7:35 AM

The freware "tora" tool also has some "compare" capabilities. I've tested if with whe users "scott" and "scott1" (both populated throuh the "demobld" script and, therefore containing vast masses of data) and it worked well. I haven't tested it on a real life database, mostly because the word "freeware"
is considered rude in production environment.

Author: Gogala, Mladen
  INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Szecsy Tamas